Change of School Operations
The Executive Directive – Change of School Operations outlines the directives for a principal to request permanent or temporary enrolment changes in a Catholic Education Western Australia Limited (CEWA) school.
Sources of authority
CECWA Policy – Effective 1 February 2021
Catholic Education Commission Western Australia Stewardship Policy – Effective February 2021
- All Catholic students, insofar as resources permit, should be able to access a Catholic education.
- In the spirit of co-responsibility, the school community must consider the needs of other Catholic schools as well as their own when implementing change.
- The maintenance and extension of a coordinated and effective Catholic school system requires the recognition by all members of Catholic school communities of the interdependence of all diocesan and non-diocesan Catholic schools in Western Australia, and the most responsible use of resources available to the CEWA community as a whole.
- CECWA is responsible, after appropriate consultation with School Governing Bodies, parishes and school communities, for making recommendations to the Diocesan Bishop.
- Any permanent changes to student enrolment patterns or significant investment in capital infrastructure require planning and a Capital Development Plan.
Principals must follow these procedures:
- Neighbouring Catholic schools likely to be impacted by a change of operation to a school must be consulted prior to a decision being made.
- Short-term or one-off extensions include:
• increasing the size of a class above standard levels or;
• the addition of a class in a year level above the approved enrolment pattern (‘bubble classes’).
- The short term extension request must be submitted to the Capital Team.
- Capital Team, in consultation with the school, will review and present a proposal for consideration of the Executive Director. Provided such extensions do not require building additional capital facilities and are purely operational, they may be approved by the Executive Director.
- Short term extensions are deemed approved for one year only, unless explicitly stated in the original approval.
- Where the Diocesan Bishop, CEWA, the school community, School Governing Bodies propose to:
• Open, amalgamate, de-amalgamate or close schools, including boarding accommodation;
• Change pupil enrolment policies, for example, a change that would affect the Catholicity of a school;
• Make a permanent change to the structure of a school’s enrolment, or for example, to change from single gender to co-education or from single stream to double stream; or
• Undertake a building program.
the proponents will work with the Capital Development Team to develop a submission for the consideration of the CECWA.
- If the consultation for an item results in an unresolved diversity of opinion, then the proposal shall be forwarded to CECWA or their delegated authority for decision.
- CECWA may request an item to be presented for CECWA’s decision if the circumstances necessitate it.